A statement posted Friday on the official Facebook page of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers by Petty’s widow Dana and daughter Adria confirms that Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose.
The statement comes more than 3 months after Petty’s sudden death.
“Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications,” reads the statement.
In the months before his death, Petty performed 53 shows with a fractured hip and, according to the statement, had been informed the day he died that the injury had graduated to a full on break.
“It is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication… We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.”
Read the full statement below.