Neil Young has released a covers album that includes songs by Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, The Everly Brothers and more. The release comes just in time for Record Store Day, without any advance publicity or even a formal announcement.
“[It’s] a phone booth. It’s all acoustic with a harmonica inside a closed space, with one mic to vinyl … It’s a funky old machine, it sounds like Jimmy Rogers or something,” Young told SPIN last month.
The album, titled A Letter Home, was recorded at White’s studio in Nashville and described on the label’s site as “[an] unheard collection of rediscovered songs from the past recorded on ancient electro mechanical technology captures and unleashes the essence of something that could have been gone forever…”
The album is available now on 12″ vinyl via Third Man Records.
1. “Changes” (Phil Ochs)
2. “Girl From The North Country” (Bob Dylan)
3. “Needle of Death” (Bert Jansch)
4. “Early Morning Rain” (Gordon Lightfoot)
5. “Reason To Believe” (Tim Hardin)
6. “On The Road Again” (Willie Nelson)
7. “If You Could Only Read My Mind” (Gordon Lightfoot)
8. “Since I Met You Baby” (Ivory Joe Hunter)
9. “My Hometown” (Bruce Springsteen)
10. “I Wonder if I Care as Much” (Everly Brothers)